April 28, 2009

My 1st long birding trip (which was organized by Selangor Bird Group) to Panti Rainforest in Kota Tinggi, Johor.

Everybody lifer (Grey chested jungle flycatcher)

It’s been a very hectic year for me this year (2008) and what a joy it was to have my leave approved (had to wait two months for this). I’ve been looking forward to my first long birding trip to Panti Rainforest and Kuala Sedili in Kota Tinggi, Johor (which was organized by Selangor Bird Group). This is my way of de-stressing my body, my mind and my soul from my working environment and tiring everyday routine.


I am not a morning person but on 12th September 2008, I woke up as early as 5:30 a.m. so that I could meet up with Susan, as promised, in front of my office in Kajang at 8:00 a.m. With my groggy cousin as my driver (and I do mean, groggy, as she can’t join us on this trip), we reached my office at 7:30 a.m. At 8:10 a.m. Susan arrived in her Kenari. Along in the car is our old-timer, Uncle Lee. Although we travelled using the highway, it’s a relief to see that there are still acres and acres of trees along the way. There were also times when we saw raptors flying in the sky on our way to Kota Tinggi. It’s really a sight for sore eyes.


Hairy backed bulbul


It’s a journey of nearly 6 hours and finally we reached the budget hotel called Hotel Sri Kota, at 1:45pm, although we had a tough time finding the place. There were about 18 of us in the group and on that day itself, we left the hotel at about 3.30 p.m. to head off to the Bunkers Trail which is approximately 20 minutes drive from our hotel. I am really anxious to see all birds there as it could be my “lifer”. After 2 hours and 45 minutes exploring the rainforest, I saw 9 species of birds and 4 out of it was my lifer. I ended my first day trip with a very big smile on my face with hope to see more for the next 2 days. We then went to a restaurant to celebrate our lifers. We ordered 11 dishes and ate like we have never eaten before. Luckily for us we have to walk for a distance before we reach the hotel or else we’ll get indigestion!


Even though I came down with flu for the next two days, my spirits are still high as I am looking forward to my next lifer. We also went to Kuala Sedili looking for Waders. After 4 hours in Kuala Sedili I managed to find 11 species of Waders and 9 of them was my lifer. We went back to Panti Bunkers Trail to try our luck for another lifer. It was worth it, as we heard and saw the Malaysian Eared Nightjar.


Kuala Sedili


During the third day I managed to see 27 species on the day itself and 13 out of them were my lifers! It makes a total of 29 lifers altogether after 3 days of this trip. Simply amazing!


Last day of the trip, I targeted to see at least 1 more lifers to make a total of 30 lifers. Since that it is our last day here in Panti, my emotions are mixed with sadness and excitement. Sad, to leave this place but excited to have met up with so many lifers! I think luck is on our side as we reached the Bunkers Trail, Uncle Lee suddenly spotted one bird and after looking precisely through our bin we found out that it was the Dusky Broadbill – another lifer for me! Till the end of the trip I saw another 3 more lifers to add up to my list. Finally my list becomes 33 lifers for the whole trip in Panti Forest and Kuala Sedili, Johor Bahru.


We checked out of the hotel at noon and head for home. It was a very memorable trip for me as I get to see 33 lifers which 7 out of it are my favourites such as the Grey-Chested Jungle Flycatcher, the Malaysian Plover, the Javan Frogmouth, the Red Bearded Bee-eater, the White-bellied Woodpecker, the Red Crowned Barbet and the Pale Blue Flycatcher. I can’t wait for my next trip!


No comments:

Post a Comment