April 24, 2009

Dollar bird (my lifer)

On a separate occasion during my cousin’s wedding (18.3.08) roughly about 11am I need to take something from my car. On the way to my car which is about 100 meters away from my auntie’s house, I took the opportunity to look for a bird at the nearby area.

I was excited to see one bird flew and perched on a dead tree which is not far from my car. Spontaneously I grab by bin and spot the bird. Wow! That’s the word came out from my mouth. It was so cute with pair of red leg, red billed and dark green all over the body. After referring to my new Craig Robson field guide I found out that the bird is known as Dollar Bird.

It was weird when I think of its name – dollar bird. It doesn’t make any sense for a green bird with that name. After scratching my head few times and had no choice but to ask my sifu then I got the answer .

The answer was TA DAAA!!!!!!!!! HEHEHE ...

Dollarbird (Tiong Batu)

Dollarbird got their name from the two silvery white circular patches on each under wing, that flash as they fly. These look like shining American silver dollar coins.

Dollarbird eat mainly insects, and appear particularly fond of hard-skinned flying insects like beetles. But they will take any large insect or even feed on swarming insects. They also catch other small animals.

Dollarbird are aerial feeders. Like other Rollers, they are flying acrobats, wheeling and swooping about. They catch insects on the wing, with their short flat bills that are broad at the base. But they may also take insects and lizards from on the ground. Large insects are brought back to the perch, to be beaten to death and to knock off less edible bits like hard wing cases.

Feeding alone or in pairs, Dollarbird are frequently seen perching on high vantage points like dead trees or telephone wires, keeping a lookout for a passing titbit.

They feed in the cooler afternoon and evening. During away during the hottest part of the day, they may hide away or simply remain motionless on their favorite perch.

1 comment:

  1. I've always loved them. Saw them up in Pertak, near the Gap Resthouse in Fraser's Hill and a number of other places.

    I'm blogrolling you, buddy.

    CO78

    ReplyDelete